Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rules for the Marathon Shopper

Today I took a friend of mine on what was supposed to be a short shopping venture to get these Quilted Sperry Top-Sider "Pelican Too" Rainboots:


What happened instead was a 3.5 hour mini-marathon (for me) shopping adventure to The Rack & Old Navy. Let me explain the marathon part.  I don't shop quickly.  I.Marathon.Shop. Ask any of my friends (or my very patient bf) if I've ever shopped (happily) for less than 2 hours at a time.  When I go shopping, I mean it. I will dig through racks, looking for exactly the right item, and am willing to spend the time to find the gem I know is there.  And of course, I have marathon shopping rules:

1.  Keep breakfast light, but protein & caffeine loaded -You don't want to be bloated when trying on clothes, it makes it harder to imagine if that fitted sheath dress will look just right.  (hint: Starbucks is a shoppers friend, before and during a shopping marathon) The protein will keep you full for a bit, but it's never a bad idea to keep a bar in your purse just in case you go longer than 5 hours.
2. Go early - Why fight mid-day or evening crowds or risk post-lunch rushed choices?  added bonus: when you arrive at opening, racks are organized & you have the first pick!  
3. Consider your purse carefully - I recommend a smallish crossbag, large enough to carry phone, wallet, lipgloss and any layer of clothing you need to shed, or even small purchases throughout your day. This will also free your hands to carry more items at a time.
4. Leave the layers at home/in the car - Even if it's raining cats & dogs outside (yes Seattle, I'm talking to you) when you get in the store and 3 racks in, that big rain jacket will take you quickly from Marathon shopper to sweaty, frustrated mess.  Layers are best when it's a flattering cami & cardi combo; easy to change in/out of 100 times.  Also an easy way to tell if your ideal outfit is right or not: if you like what you came in better, maybe your last item wasn't the right choice.
5.  Wear comfortable flats - Easy to slip on/off when in the shoe section, you'll make it through quicker than having to take boots or tennis shoes on and off at every possible shoe option.
6.If you take it off the rack for a better look, you must try it on - yes, this is the hardest and most dangerous rule.  But this happens to be one of the best ways to get out of your comfort zone, and can also result in some of the most hilarious dressing room try-ons I've ever done.  I've discovered patterns, colors and cuts I would have never thought worked for me just by virtue of this rule.  The rule can also be veto'ed by a friend in order to stop you from trying on 1993 throwbacks.
7.  When in doubt, decide in the checkout line -  Pressure.  Probably the best way to really find out if you love an item.  Carry your Maybe item around, try it on with your other selections, and let the pressure of the impending register help you find your true feelings on the deal that might just be too good to pass up.

FYI, I didn't get the boots. yet.

Golden Feature:
This Rag and Bone Gold tuxedo jacket is GORGEOUS! But I couldn't quite afford it...So I got the Chloe K version at The Rack today for a little less ($39.79)

Golden Tidbit:  Carrie: "Honey, if it hurts so much, why are we going shopping?"
                        Samantha: "I have a broken toe, not a broken spirit!"


No comments:

Post a Comment