Sunday, September 22, 2013

Thunderbirds

I got to go to my first Hockey game this weekend thanks to a very generous invite from some amazing friends (thanks Paul & Krystal!) and our seats were in one of the Suites!
Many of you might not know this but my fiance is a HUGE hockey fan so he was pretty excited for this. (Sidebar: He's a Dallas Stars fan but LOVES anything hockey related)  It was also the Season opener which happened to be against the Portland Winterhawks. Having never been to a Hockey game, other than knowing about occasional fights breaking out, I didn't really know what to expect. It. Was. Amazing. I can absolutely say that Hockey in person is soooo much better than Hockey on TV, but I'll probably be able to appreciate it more now.


We even had a visit from Cool Bird, the Thunderbird's Mascot (I might have been overly excited for this). After letting all the kids in the neighboring suite and ours take their pictures, I got my shot:

I didn't get to see any fights but I did get to see a tie which meant overtime and a shootout. Final Score, 4-3, Thunderbirds win!

I hope this isn't the only game I get to see this season, and after taking a look, tickets are really reasonable (starting at around $16, check out your options here). There were a ton of families at the game, so a pretty awesome, reasonable priced family friendly evening, complete with crowd chanting (in this case, PORTLAND SUCKS!).

Golden Tidbit:

These are the Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia (XXII). Not so much an item to buy but an amazing award for athletes who are literally the best in the world at what they do. The last time Team USA won a gold in hockey (ironically) was beating Russia in 1980 at Lake Placid, NY.

Golden Quote: "Goaltenders are 3 sandwiches shy of a picnic. From the moment primitive man lurched erect, he survived on the principle that when something hard and potentially lethal comes toward you at great velocity, get the hell out of it's path." - Jim Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment