Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tour of Idaho

I spent this week in Idaho for work and unusually, got the chance to do some sight seeing along the way.
Local Mountain Elevations in Sun Valley
I always forget how beautiful Sun Valley is until I get up there, and then, I always mean to stay longer the next time.  I think this is the trip that will change. Everyone thinks of Sun Valley for the ski season, but I hear it's a fantastic time in the summer. While in Hailey I didn't get to take any pictures, but we had the opportunity to tour the one of the 3 Rocky Mountain Hardware factories (3 locations; Hailey, Shoshone & Blackfoot). If you've never seen their product, check out the link. Everything they produce uses old techniques and seeing the craftsmanship that goes into each piece is incredible.
Perrine Bridge, Twin Falls, ID
The 8th highest bridge in the US, the Perrine Bridge, is actually the one of the only man-made structures in the US where BASE jumping is allowed year round without a permit (source, Wikipedia). It's also the site of the Perrine Bridge Festival, a fundraiser started in 2005 to raise awareness and money for children with special needs in the Magic Valley.
I got to drive on US 30, the Thousand Springs Scenic Byway. Did you know that the hatcheries along the valley produce 70% of the Trout produced in the US?  .

City of Seattle from above
No matter how many times I fly into the city, I never, ever get tired of this view.  Absolutely gorgeous!

Golden Feature:

I probably haven't mentioned this before, but I like to enjoy the occasional cigar.  While taking a trip to Total Wine in Bellevue, I found this and obviously couldn't resist.  Macanudo Gold Label Gold Bar, I bought it for $9.99, but I found them online for a 5-pack for $33 at cigarinternational.com
(I personally prefer a bolder cigar, but will be trying this in principle alone, I'll let you know how it goes)

Golden Tidbit:"The greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted." - Bill Bryson

No comments:

Post a Comment