Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pebble Time

I can finally say it: I own a Pebble.
Old school watchface option
Ok, technically I was able to say that when we became Kickstarter backers on May 9th, 2012 (one of 68,927 backers). Yes, almost exactly a year ago, so I have been waiting extremely patiently to get this package of Pebble Perfection:

Pebble packaging - 2 pack
the only instructions: go to website











You are probably wondering 1 - why I waited so long to get a Watch and 2 - what the heck is a Pebble?
The answer to the first question is because it isn't just any watch, it's an e-paper tech geek's dream come true, and the first next step into smart watches (maybe not the first technically, but the best so far in my opinion).  The second question, what the heck is a Pebble and what can it do, besides tell time:
  • control my music
  • caller ID
  • water resistant
  • Email notification
  • Text messages 
  • vibrating timer & alarm
  • and more coming; everything I hear indicated RunKeeper integration goes live in the next few weeks (yes, I can check my watch to see how far/long I've run)
Basically, most of you know I love tech and gadgets and I'm really an early adopter.  So when I heard about Pebble last year, I convinced told by bf about it and we quickly became backers (if you think I love tech, he's twice as excited as me about this stuff)
Here's the Pebble website if you need more info, or want to pre-order your own (yes, a little plug, but so far I'm impressed enough to recommend it!)

Pebble became one of the most funded Kickstarter Projects when it reached $4.7 mil, ($500,000 in the first day of funding crushing their initial goal of $100,000) and it actually ended up raising over $10 million.  Here's where I'll also recommend you check out Kickstarter, a great crowd funding site.

Kickstarter Edition Pebble - worth the wait!
So far the best reaction has been when buying my watchband today. I was texting back and forth and she happened to be handing my watch back to me when it vibrated with a text while in her hand.  She looked down at the message, then at me and asked "um, is this connected to your phone??" I said yes, and she just got this huge grin, "That's so cool!" Yes, yes it is.

Now I'll be honest in the cons:

  • no battery life indicator (but after a 2 hour charging, it should be ready to go for 5 days)
  • calls show a number rather than a contact name, but I believe that's being addressed currently (texts do show the name)

I don't want to be called a fan girl, but truly, it really has worked as advertised or I'd list more cons. The SDK (software development kit) should be released shortly, which means more integration, i.e. more links to apps for notifications. This is where I think Pebble will really continue to set the standard for smartwatches.  I know many of my fellow Kickstarters still don't have their Pebbles and attitudes have turned negative on the product and the company:
  1. Kickstarter is not a sales site, but a backing site, and the company is supposed to do their best to deliver a product.  If the Pebbles being produced didn't meet the right standards, I would be happy to wait longer to make sure my product was perfect when it reached my hands, that's what I paid for.  
  2. For any company to go from Proof of Concept to mass production in 9 months and produce a consistent, quality technical product for the first time is really impressive. I have a professional familiarity with sourcing (enough to be dangerous) and I'm incredibly impressed with this timeline and the resulting product.

Golden Tidbit:
Obviously the black rubber strap that came with my Pebble, while good for all-weather conditions and an outdoor workout, is just not.... well, gold enough.  I visited Express Jewelers in Westlake Center today and picked up this amazing Gold Hadley Roma Mens watch band with clasp, which they installed and sized for me within 10 minutes (great for those who need a little instant gratification) for just $56.00.  I found it on Amazon Prime for $60.70.

Golden Quote: "Time is more valuable than Money.  You can get more money, but you cannot get more time."  - Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment